A Mantid For A Mate

So there we were. Jo and I, sitting out on the deck and enjoying the evening when a giant mantid blundered into the car port. Nothing particularly astonishing about that, we see them from time to time.

What was a little different though was the insects' behaviour.

I grabbed the camera and lay down on the concrete to take a shot (see below) - the mantid paused, for just a moment, then scuttled towards me. It clambered onto my wrist and made its way to my shoulder, where it perched, making me feel like a slightly deranged pirate.

Giant Mantid

Thank god - a tree!


Giant Matid Preening

Keeping those weapons in tip-top condition



Long story short, I gently plucked it from its vantage point and placed it on some plants that I knew housed suitable delicacies. It promptly settled in for a round of vigorous preening.

It was then that I noticed it had, what I can only describe as scorch marks on its wing cases. I have no idea of the cause. They may be electrical or from a light bulb. It may also be scarring from a predator. I honestly don't know.

It was just a little wildlife moment I guess. But one I wanted to share.

Giant Mantid Consuming A Large Wasp

Two weeks later and she's doing well - potter wasps are big, but she's bigger


Giant Mantid - Front View.

A magnificent critter


You can check out an older post about this insect here
Giant Praying Mantid


Although many refer to a member of this group as a ‘praying mantis,' mantis refers to the genus Mantis. Only some praying mantids belong to the genus Mantis. Mantid refers to the entire group.

'Till next time, and as always, take care

Comments

Popular Posts